Bike friendly buses
We now have 23 New Bike friendly vehicles available with either 2-4 spaces for bikes this enables active travel for passengers across our Borders Buses network.
At the moment there are three of our bike friendly double decker buses on our X62 service, Each of these vehicles has racking for four bikes, all other bike friendly vehicles are single decker with racks available for 2 bikes. These vehicles are now running on our X62, X95 and 253 services.
You can plan your bike friendly journey on the Borders Buses app. On our live tracker, simply click the bus and if it is bike friendly it will say 'BIKE' after the vehicle registration.
Please note the following key instructions in order to store your bikes correctly and safely.
- Disabled access takes priority.
- Bikes are carried at the owner's own risk.
- The first bike (inside bike) must be racked facing the front of the bus.
- The second bike must be racked facing the rear of the bus. Rear gears should be set to highest gear to avoid contact with metal wheel stand.
- Bikes MUST be secured using adjustable straps for the duration of the journey. Each bike must be secured individually.
- Equipment must not be left loose on bikes. Place in the storage area provided.
- Take care and be mindful of other passengers when getting on and off the bus.
To demonstrate how to load bikes, we enlisted local cyclists Colin Cotter, Peebles, and Steven Cooper, Dalkeith, to create this short video.