*** Update 01 May ***
Pingo now has a dedicated pickup and drop-off point at Berwickshire train station.
*** Update 23 February ***
Guaranteed pre-booking has arrived!
We can now guarantee pre-bookable pick-up times up to 7 days in advance.
All you need to do is:
select where you would like to go as normal
click into the on-demand section then beside "request your ride" you will see a clock face.
When you select your time and date we can now guarantee your slot if it's available.
Our guaranteed pre-booking slots will pick you up within a 15-minute window of your pre-booked time.
Please keep in mind that there may occasionally be circumstances outwith our control e.g. traffic which may affect pick up.
What is Pingo
Pingo is an on-demand bus service brought to you by Borders Buses. Pingo allows customers to book a shared journey not served by bus at that particular time. It operates within the Berwickshire area and is perfect for joining up journeys, integrating with the existing transport network, and providing bus travel where a service doesn’t exist.
By simply downloading the "Ride Pingo” app you can book your journey quickly and easily, pay for your journey online and even track the progress of your bus as it makes its way to your selected pick-up point. It's as easy as - push a button, get a bus! See our handy FAQs below for more info.
Welcome to on-demand bus travel!
When can I use the service?
Pingo for Berwickshire is now live and fully operational! It will operate 7 days per week from 7am until 9pm.
Who is Pingo for?
Pingo is for everyone, flexible, convenient bus travel that works around you
Where will it pick me up and where can I go?
Anywhere within the Pingo operating area, however, we do strongly recommend the use of our pick-up hubs and existing bus stops, this allows your Pingo to get to you even quicker! Simply request your journey on our app. See our map below highlighting the Pingo operating area.
Does the Pingo service follow the bus network?
No, it will take you on the quickest route to your destination at that particular time (within the Pingo Berwickshire area).
What does it cost?
For all fare-paying customers, your fare will be calculated as follows:
£2.20 base fare plus 40p per mile
Your fare will automatically be calculated by the app when you make your booking. If you are paying on bus your fare will be rounded up to the nearest 20p.
Concession cards are accepted on the Pingo service.
Can Under 22’s use Pingo for free?
Absolutely, if you hold a valid NEC/ Young Scot card with the free travel product loaded this service is perfect for young people getting from A to B safely, reliably, and conveniently.
How do I download the app?
All you need to do is download the “Ride Pingo” app to your smartphone or device. See our easy-to-follow instructions below. If you require any help with downloading the app, please contact us on 01289 385506 or you can email [email protected].
What if I don’t have a smartphone?
You can still book the service by calling our Pingo line on 01289 385506. Our Pingo customer advisors will be available from 9am - 5pm from Monday through to Saturday.
What vehicle is used for the service?
Our new, wheelchair-accessible, 16-seater minibus will be operating the Pingo service.
Can I take my bike on the bus?
Unfortunately, we don't yet have bike racks on our Pingo bus, this is something that we would like to introduce in the future.
How to download the Ride Pingo App
- To download the “Ride Pingo” app you must have a smartphone or an iPad/tablet
- If you have an Apple device open the “App Store” and search for “Ride Pingo”
- If you have an Android device open the “Google Play Store” and search for “Ride Pingo’
- The app is completely free, and you will not be charged any money.
- Now open the app and “allow” Ride Pingo to send you notifications.
- Click “Get Started” and fill out your details
- When prompted to enter your phone number remember to change the first two digits to +44 and take off the first 0 when you enter your number.
- Your phone will then be sent a code by text message to enter into Pingo.
- During the next step, you can add your debit/credit card details if you would like to pay online but you can also skip this stage. Please note that your details are encrypted and will be safe and secure.
- Allow Pingo to access your location whilst using the app.
- That’s it, you’re all set! You can now explore the app and enter where you currently are and where would like to go.